This horse has been SUCH a pain but really a fun project for me to work on at home. I went looking for carousel horses on Craigslist and found what I thought was a great one, but after driving two hours to get there, we loaded her up and found out that she was plastic.. and had come from a smoker’s home.
A little internet research later and I find out that she’s a converted hobby horse. She started life as one of those spring-horses that kids bounce on. The hot glued flowers covered the holes where the springs used to be. See the WH on her tushie? That’s “wonder horse”. She started out looking like this.
So we got home and I set her up for a photo, because I wanted a before and after set, since I knew I’d have to repaint her.
Her first bath (it took three to get the smoke smell out). I scraped all the hot clue off too, thank goodness I was already plannign to repaint her since I took off a lot of paint too.
Her base coat of primer white, then a coat of soft ivory over it.
Testing out pinks, this color was too flamingo-pink, the other was too fuchsia pink, so I ended up mixing them.
It took a lot of work to paint those hooves gold.. Laying down on the job has it’s perks, I guess.
All painted, but still missing something.. I think she needs some front and back bits to the saddle and a horn.
A little brain surgery and some hot glue later…
FINALLY, she’s done. Repainted, added a horn, cleaned the brass, added ribbons, filled her with industrial foam, and gave her a new base for stability, she’s ready for some princesses!