You know those workshops you see where the photographer has three assistants and the models are all pros and know how to pose themselves.. and then you get back home and realize that you can’t replicate any of it because you’re ONE person with clients instead of models? Yeah, this is not that. I’ve had TEN YEARS of experience in styled kids’ sessions with no assistant, and before that I was a pre-school teacher. Real kids, real situations, real learning.
The eight images below were all taken by me at my 2016 workshop. Some of those girls are pro models, some are not. Can you tell which are which?
Come stay in a gorgeous B&B for three nights, hang out with me and up to 9 other photographers and get your inspiration and learning on! 10am to sunset! Watch me shoot some, then it’s your turn.
Each participant will learn how to style a shoot from beginning to end and lead a 30 minute shoot with a model by the end of the retreat. I’ll also have a private facebook group for all participants so we can keep chatting after we’re all home!
Main topics included are:
1. How to style shoots – Pick out dresses and accessories, take your vision from beginning to end, what colors and materials do best and why, what to look for in a location, and how to record random ideas to come back to later to turn into a real shoot.
2. Shooting – Lovely locations, how to pick lighting, picking the lenses you use, how shutter and aperture choices help tell the story, and shooting details.
3. Kid interactions – How to get genuine expressions, how to manage siblings together, make sure your subjects have a good time at your sessions, watching the child for cues, and what’s age appropriate to expect.
4. Editing – Lightroom and photoshop workflow.
5. Inspiration – What inspires you, what makes you happy? Really get to know how to put your own personal spin on styled shoots.
What this workshop will not include: Marketing, selling, and basic camera functions. If you do not know how to use your camera, this is going to be a little quick for you.
The workshops are a LOT of fun and you will not only go home with new ideas and skills, but new friends as well! Even the models and parents have fun!
I fully style at least six full shoots. All the props for that session the models, the dresses, everything.